ICYMI: California's 'Sanctuary State' Bill Passes State Assembly, Headed To Senate
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- SB 54, California's "sanctuary state" bill, cleared the state Assembly on Friday afternoon and is headed to the state Senate.
- Legendary Cuban bakery chain Porto's will be opening a fifth location in West Covina.
- A look at Tracy K. Smith's first day as the new U.S. Poet Laureate.
- The Columbia Journalism Review talks to the Phoenix New Times about how the alt-weekly's horrifying Motel 6 scoop came together.
- Government plane-loving Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin wants America to know that he didn't take a government plane to Kentucky to see the eclipse, because people from New York didn't have any interest in watching the eclipse.
- California state lawmakers advanced some very important housing legislation late Thursday night.
- This video of Jennifer Garner, unbelievably high after some kind of dental procedure and crying about Hamilton, is unexpectedly GREAT: