ICYMI: California Farmworkers Will Finally Be Getting Overtime Pay
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Gov. Jerry Brown made history Monday when he signed legislation that will grant farmworkers the right to overtime pay in the nation's largest agricultural state. About time.
- Two L.A. high schools battle over who has the better view of downtown.
- Vanity Fair delivers the latest installment in the Theranos saga, with an epic #longreads on how Elizabeth Holmes's house of cards came tumbling down.
- An El Pollo Loco in Mid-City is now home to the nation's first ever large-scale program to help transgender people find jobs.
- Here’s the peerless Ta-Nehisi Coates on how the media jumped in outrage over Clinton’s “basket of deplorables” comment… but failed to actually look into it.
- I usually hate anything that could potentially fall under the "feel good video" column, but I am oddly entranced by this dance-filled Justin Timberlake-scored video that residents/stakeholders/staff from Council District 15 made for Councilman Joe Buscaino's birthday. It gives a whole lot of love to L.A. neighborhoods that don't get nearly enough love, like Wilmington and Watts, highlights local businesses, and features multiple clergy members busting some serious moves: