This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Nothing Says Punk Rock Like A $265 Black Flag Shirt
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Obama's not slacking off, even as his term is winding down—he's just shortened the sentences of 214 federal inmates. This is the most commutations made on a single day in over a century.
- Surfing and skateboarding have been added as sports to the 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo. Wrestling has also made it back onto the list.
- A Dutch man waited at a Chinese airport for 10 days for his online girlfriend to arrive. She never did. :(
- There's an outbreak of "zombie anthrax" in Siberia. Well, this just ruins our day.
- You got $265 to plop down on a Black Flag t-shirt (that you can probably get for $25 on eBay)?
- A huge fire was started after a backhoe struck a gas main in Woodland Hills. Luckily, the fire was contained and the damage was (relatively) minor.
- Pitchfork interviews Animal of The Muppets. "Radiohead! Radiohead! LOUD!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.