This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Manifest Destiny Is No Longer Manifest
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- The Hollywood Reporter looks at how Cinespia screenings cemented themselves as an L.A. seasonal institution.
- Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch have an exquisite new record out today, and you can stream the whole thing here—but you should really buyit here.
- Here is a cool map of 150+ places to go beer tasting around Southern California. Don't drink and drive.
- L.A. is working on a new plan to manage traffic around Dodger Stadium.
- Did Vermeer use a camera obscura to help him paint so perfectly? And would it matter if he did?
- Why David Brooks should resign as a New York Times columnist, according to the New Republic (and every single person on my Twitter).
- Here is the opening of Lawrence Ferlinghetti's perfect ars poetica "Poetry As Insurgent Art" (I am signaling you through the flames./ The North Pole is not where it used to be./Manifest Destiny is no longer manifest./Nemesis is knocking at the door.) and a video of Ferlinghetti reading from the book: