This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: A Look Inside L.A.'s Busiest Fire Station
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- There is going to be a really cool panel on Tuesday at UCLA's Luskin School of Public Affairs looking at how activists, residents, and community members are resisting displacement in Boyle Heights.
- KCET takes an inside look at Los Angeles City Fire Station 9, which serves Skid Row—and is quite possibly the busiest fire station in the nation.
- Activists from the Yale graduate student union are on their tenth day without food as they participate in a hunger strike in protest of the university's refusal to recognize their union.
- Our friends at Curbed LA have mapped California's best midcentury motels, and each one is every bit as glorious as you'd expect.
- This Reddit AMA with a three-year-old who "knows everything" is arguably the best thing I've ever read.
- You want to feel really old? Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby Got Back" is about to turn 25. Here's the original video for your Friday afternoon viewing pleasure:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.