This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Celebs Were Reportedly Warned Ahead Of Time To Avoid Fyre Festival
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- How Rebuild LA—a nonprofit created after the 1992 civil unrest—failed the community it was supposed to help.
- Saturday is #IndieBookstoreDay, so here are our ten favorite indie bookstores in Los Angeles.
- Famous people were apparently warned ahead of time to stay the hell away from Fyre Festival, the luxury Bahamian music festival cum garbage fire that's blowing up your newsfeed.
- Grand Central Market's 60-year-old China Café has reopened.
- There is a big profile of Michael Weinstein (the guy who put millions of dollars of AIDS Healthcare Foundation money into backing Measure S, that Terrible NIMBY Ballot Measure that failed at the polls) in the New York Times Magazine and we are sitting down to read it RIGHT NOW.
- R. Kelly and Usher's 2007 official music video for "Same Girl" is the greatest cinematic art of our time. Please consider it my Friday afternoon gift to you, gentle reader:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.