ICYMI: SpaceX Plans To Send Two Rich People On A Trip Around The Moon
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- On Friday, the Huffington Post explored an interesting hypothetical: what would happen if a presenter announced the wrong winner at the Oscars? Their uncannily prescient post, which explains the PricewaterhouseCoopers process, makes for especially fun reading given, uh, recent events.
- SpaceX announced plans to send two rich people on a trip around the moon, because why not.
- A deep dive look at the family behind Porto's Bakery. [h/t: Eater LA]
- Finally, someone investigates how IKEA's "Billy" bookcase conquered the world.
- It's Monday, so here's a fun "Did Margaret Thatcher say that?" quiz for you to test your knowledge of the Iron Lady's one liners.
- I'm supposed to put a video next, but instead here is Raymond Carver's poem "Happiness" in its entirety:
So early it's still almost dark out.
I'm near the window with coffee,
and the usual early morning stuff
that passes for thought.
When I see the boy and his friend
walking up the road
to deliver the newspaper.
They wear caps and sweaters,
and one boy has a bag over his shoulder.
They are so happy
they aren't saying anything, these boys.
I think if they could, they would take
each other's arm.
It's early in the morning,
and they are doing this thing together.
They come on, slowly.
The sky is taking on light,
though the moon still hangs pale over the water.
Such beauty that for a minute
death and ambition, even love,
doesn't enter into this.
Happiness. It comes on
unexpectedly. And goes beyond, really,
any early morning talk about it.