This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: '60s Radical L.A. Political Icon Tom Hayden Dies At 76
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Tom Hayden, one of L.A.'s most notable leftist political icons, passed away last night in Santa Monica. He was 76 years old.
- In controversial news that will likely come as a surprise to nobody, The New Yorker has chosen to endorse Hillary Clinton. Surprise, surprise.
- Look. Donald Trump never really wanted to be President. His entire campaign has just been a giant scheme to promote his brand. For more, click here to learn more about TrumpTV, the Donald's new Facebook Live brand coming to a social media platform near you very soon.
- My Figueroa officially kicked off construction today! If you want to learn more about Los Angeles' first really cool protected "cycle-track" that lets people ride their bikes from downtown to USC, without even worrying about cars, click here!
- Actress Shailene Woodley was arrested a couple of weeks ago in North Dakota for protesting the construction of a new oil pipeline. Now she's in L.A., protesting that same pipeline with face paint!
- If you didn't know, President Hillary Clinton was actually born in Chicago. For this reason, she is a Cubs fan, and very happy that they beat the Dodgers a couple days ago to advance to the World Series.
And now, here's a raccoon embracing active transportation:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.