This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Just When We Thought It Was Safe, An Earthquake Hits Long Beach
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- You're just going to have to believe us when we say that we don't enjoy scaring you with earthquake news. With that said, a magnitude 2.7 quake struck the Long Beach area this afternoon.
- Hurricane Matthew, on the other hand, has worked up to become a big threat. Stay safe if you're out there.
- Never heard a French-speaking announcer call a baseball game? Let Rodger Brulotte change all that for you. He goes bonkers at the sight of a home run.
- It turns out that, maybe, chimps are capable of realizing that another being has a mind. This automatically makes them more empathetic than humans.
- Hillary says that Kanye did the right thing by leaving mid-show when news arose that Kim was being held at gunpoint. No word on Trump's take, but it's not like we need another opinion on this.
- Bill Cosby's lawyers say that he won't receive a fair trial because of his race. Oh boy.
- October is only so long. And there are so many horror movies to watch on Netflix. Which ones are worth your while? Paste Magazine ranks the top 60 horror flicks.
- Apparently, there's a controversial and cruel tradition in Yellville, Arkansas where turkeys are dropped from planes. Organizers reassure everyone that turkeys are "strong fliers" and that they'll all glide safely to the ground. Can't they find other hobbies out there?
- The Lennon Report is a movie about the events immediately following John Lennon's shooting.
- Remember Double Dare? We'd always wanted to win that Walkman.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.