This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: New Superbug Has Spread To Seven States In Nine Months
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- The Center for Disease Control says that a "superbug" has been detected in 122 people across seven states. It better hurry if it wants to destroy us before something else does!
- In response to the murder of Mexican journalist and author Javier Valdez, several Mexican media outlets protested by going dark.
- Here's a rundown of all the not-good stuff that's been tied to Milwaukee Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr., who was tapped for a job with the Department of Homeland Security.
- Phoenix (remember them?) are coming back with a new album, and they just released the record's title track.
- There's a new book that, apparently, centers around the bad blood between the Strokes and Ryan Adams. Spoiler alert: it supposedly involved drugs.
- Will there be an El Niño? Oh no, are we playing this game again?
- Here's Beck performing "Loser" in 1994 on U.K. television:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.