This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: How Much Severance Pay Is Bill O'Reilly Walking Away From Fox News With?
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- The Automobile City experiment of the mid-20th century failed (hear that L.A.?), but how will the future of transportation reshape our cities?
- Bill O'Reilly may be separating from Fox News after a series of sexual assault allegations, but he's still getting $25 million in severance pay.
- In need of a color scheme for a project? Love Wes Anderson's films? This website can help you out two-fold.
- A distant galaxy bent the light from a supernova so that it reached Earth as four separate images in a phenomena dubbed "gravitational lensing"...yeah, we had trouble wrapping our heads around that, too.
- Pizza? In Hollywood? Until 2 and 3 a.m.? Sign us up.
- When Alice Barker was younger in the 1930s and '40s, she was a chorus dancer at Harlem's Apollo Theater. Now, at 102, she's seeing herself dance for the first time thanks to recovered film:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.