The Streets To Avoid In Today And Tomorrow's Obamajam
That's right, folks, it's time for everyone's favorite rush hour obstacle: Obamajam! This is the first Obamajam of 2016, and it looks like it's gonna be a good one. President Barack Obama is coming to town today to be interviewed by Ellen DeGeneres—that interview will air on The Ellen DeGeneres show on Friday—and hit up some political fundraisers in Hancock Park, according to KPCC. Traffic is predicted to be terrible, and LAPD Officer Tony Im suggests planning an extra 20 to 30 minutes in your transit time.
Today, avoid the following areas if at all possible:
- From 3:15 p.m. to 4:45 p.m., stay away from N. Hollywood Way between N. San Fernando Blvd. and Forest Lawn Drive.
- From 4:45 p.m. to 6:15 p.m., avoid N. Hollywood Way between Forest Lawn Drive and N. San Fernando Boulevard.
- From 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m., try to steer clear of the area near Rimpau Blvd. between W. Pico Blvd. and W 6th Street, as well as Wilshire Blvd. between S. Hudson Ave. and S. Arden Boulevard.
- From 8:45 p.m. to 10:30 p.m., avoid Crenshaw Blvd. between Wilshire and West Adams boulevards, as well as Wilshire Blvd. between the 405 Freeway and Malcom Avenue. If you can avoid it, just try to not drive around Westwood Village.
There will also be closures in the following locations. According to a traffic release from Councilman Paul Koretz's office, bus routes will not be affected by the closures:
- Sometime between 2:30 p.m. to 4 p.m. today, both the northbound and southland lanes of Sepulveda Blvd. between Lincoln and Century boulevards will be shut down to cars for 8 minutes.
- Today at 3 p.m., Los Angeles High School will close, and South Rimpau Blvd. between Edgewood Place and West Olympic Blvd. will also be closed from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- From 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., West 6 St. will be shut down between S. Muirfield Road and S. Arden Boulevard.
- From 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., S. Windsor Blvd. will be closed between W. 2nd and W. 5th streets.
- From 7:30 p.m. to 10 p.m., West 3rd St. will be closed between S. Plymouth Blvd. and Lorraine Blvd.
- From 10 p.m. tonight until 10 a.m. tomorrow morning, Hilgard Ave. between Weyburn Ave. and Le Conte Ave. will be closed.
On Friday, Feb. 12, avoid these locations:
- From 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m., we'd advise staying away from Wilshire Blvd. between Westwood Village and the 405 Freeway, as well as S. Bundy Drive between Ocean Park Blvd. and the 10 Freeway.
- Sometime between 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m., both the northbound and southland lanes of Sepulveda Blvd. between Lincoln and Century boulevards will be shut down to cars for 8 minutes.
After visiting Los Angeles, Obama will next head to Coachella Valley, Palm Springs and Rancho Mirage, the L.A. Times reports.