This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Here Are The Streets Closed For Today's Westside Obamajam
In case you missed it, traffic around L.A. is going to be super gnarly this weekend, partly due to the President's visit. Thanks, Obama!The President will be in town for some private fundraising events, all on the Westside. His first stop after landing at LAX around 1 p.m. will be the home of Felicity co-creator and Armageddon screenwriter J.J. Abrams. After that, around 3:45 p.m., he'll be attending a private concert, reportedly Jamie Foxx, in a Pacific Palisades home. Finally, he'll drop by the home of interior designer Michael S. Smith for a fundraising dinner. Smith's husband, James Costos, is the U.S. ambassador to Spain. Tickets to each event—with the Abrams event costing as much as $33,400—are all sold out, according to Deadline. Sorry.
And if you think you'll be OK by just avoiding the Westside (like so many of you choose to, already), think again. Traffic will probably start to get pretty bad in the late afternoon/early evening for the U.S.A. vs. Mexico match at the Rose Bowl and Game 2 of the NLDS between the Dodgers and Mets at Dodger Stadium.
Here are all the streets to avoid today for the President's visit, according to the LAPD (via City News Service):
- Sepulveda Boulevard will be closed between Lincoln and Century Boulevards for a roughly eight-minute period sometime between 12:45 and 1:15 p.m while the President lands at LAX.
- San Remo Drive in Pacific Palisades will be closed between Casale Road and Amalfi Drive from about 1:30 to 3 p.m.
- Amalfi Drive will be closed between 3 and 5 p.m. between Napoli and Minorca Drives
- South Mapleton Drive will be closed from 5 to 7 p.m. between Wyton and Club View Drives.
- Club View Drive will be closed between South Beverly Glen Boulevard and Comstock Avenue from 5 to 7 p.m.
- Motor Avenue will be closed from Pico to Monte Mar Drive between 6:30 and 7:30 p.m.
Streets the LAPD recommend avoiding today:
12:30 to 2:30 p.m.
- Sunset Boulevard between Rivas Canyon Road and Monaco Drive
- Capri Drive between Corsica Drive and Casale Road
- Casale Road between Capri Drive and San Remo Drive
2:30 to 3:30 p.m.
- Amalfi Drive between San Remo and Capri Drives
- Capri Drive between Amalfi Drive and Sunset Boulevard
- Pavia Place between Sunset Boulevard and Amalfi Drive
3:30 to 5:30 p.m.
- Sunset Boulevard between Westcove and Minorca Drives
- Allenford Avenue/26th Street between Sunset and San Vicente Boulevards
- San Vicente Boulevard between 25th Street and Wilshire Boulevard
- Wilshire Boulevard between Barry and Devon Avenues
- Beverly Glen Avenue between Ashton Avenue and Charing Cross Road
- Mapleton Drive between Club View and Wynton Drives
5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Beverly Glen Drive between Wynton Drive and Pico Boulevard
- Pico Boulevard between Patricia Avenue and Avenue of the Stars
- Motor Avenue between Pico and Monte Mar Drive
Will Rogers State Park will be closed from 7 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Cheviot Hills Recreation Center and Park will be closed until 7:30 p.m.