This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Hail to the Tweet: Obamajam Gripes & Quips Plus What Streets Will Be Closed
If you work or live between Westwood and Hancock Park, prepare for a commute nightmare this evening, courtesy President Barack Obama, who arrives in town just in time for rush hour fun.
Obama is due to land at LAX at 4:45 p.m., and he is typically taken by helicopter to the VA in Westwood. He's headed from there to two events, the first of which is in Hancock Park; "Santa Monica, Sunset, Olympic, Pico, Wilshire are all subject to rolling closures," notes Total Traffic L.A., adding that Obama will likely stay at the Beverly Hilton--a preferred overnight venue--and head back there sometime around 9 to 10 p.m. tonight.
For transit users, Metro will likely have bus route information available later this afternoon. Right now, "Santa Monica’s Big Blue Bus is alerting riders to delays on routes 1, 2, 3, 8, and 12."
We know Obama is headed to tape an appearance on "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno," and that is scheduled for 9 a.m. in Burbank. "That means Obama will be on the move sometime between 8am and 9am from possibly the Beverly Hilton to Burbank."
The President will then head to San Francisco, presumably out of LAX; it is not known how he will get from Burbank to the airport.
What has become known as "Obamajam" (aka the traffic snarls that are the result of the President's visit to L.A.) has already prompted some quips and complaints shared on Twitter. A sampling:
- @JeffMindell: Completely forgot about Obama in Hancock P today -- should be AWESOME. #ObamaJam
- @PMMayfield: Carmageddon didn't come to pass. Is there a chance that today's anticipated #Obamajam won't either??? #goingtoLAXsametimePrezisdue
- @westwoodlive: You might wanna starting thinking about #happyhour in Westwood. #Obamajam #LA
- @Brynnedalin: @BarackObama Thanks 4not choosing the morning commute. Now this is #ObamaCare!
- @moviesharkd: I will be in #Obamajam hell again tomorrow. Why doesn't #Obama stay in Washington & earn his pay instead of tormenting Los Angeles drivers?
Incidentally, Angelenos aren't the only ones bitching; Obama has been in Vegas today, and Twitterers there are all up in arms, too.