This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Hahn Defeats Huey in CA-36 Runoff Race in Decreasingly Democratic District
City Councilwoman and Democrat Janice Hahn has defeated Republican small business owner Craig Huey in the runoff election to fill the vacant Congressional District 36 seat. Hahn brought in 54.56% of the vote, leaving Huey with 45.44%.
The battle was "hard fought," says the L.A. Times, however, the New York Times calls not just Hahn's win, but the entire race kind of weaksauce, comparing it to another runoff in their neck of the woods:
Ms. Hahn’s 9-percentage-point margin of victory, however, is underwhelming in a district where Democrats have an 18-point registration advantage. he race had received considerably less media attention than the special election in New York’s 26th Congressional District in May, a Republican-leaning district in which Democrats also won under considerably more difficult circumstances.
Ultimately, the districts will be redrawn prior to the next federal election, and it's likely the area Hahn will now represent will be less Democratic than now, signaling a tough fight in CA-36 to help keep Barack Obama in the White House come fall 2012.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.