This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Guide to Obama Inauguration Events in Los Angeles
There are a lot of events going on tomorrow morning (here's the inauguration schedule in PST) so below are some of the big ones and our picks. You can also find a lot of listings at the Presidential Inauguration Committee website and at MoveOn.org, finds David Markland at MetBlogsLA. Wherever you are, enjoy the moments as you share it with millions of others around the world. Just remember for wherever you are, it all begins around 9 a.m., PST here on the West Coast with festivities beginning at 7 a.m. PST.
Best Museum Viewing
Japanese American National Museum
Best Mimosa Sipping Viewing
Best Community College Viewing
The Eli & Edythe Broad Stage at Santa Monica College (seats about 500 people)
Best Church Screening
All Saints Church in Pasadena
Best Radio Hearing
KCRW 89.9 FM (from 3 a.m. to 8 p.m.)
Best University & Post-Discussion Viewing
Ground Zero Coffee House at USC (students only)
Best After Party
The Art of Change Inaugural Ball at the Mayan Theatre in downtown, $10, 7 p.m.. Music: DJ Motion Potion, The Mutaytor, and The Crystal Method. 21+, buy tix on website.
- LAist's How/Where to Watch on TV
- The Martin Luther King, Jr. Auditorium at the Santa Monica Main Public Library, 601 Santa Monica Blvd., will be open at 8 a.m. for approximately 140 people.
- The Thelma Terry Building Multipurpose Room, Virginia Avenue Park, 2200 Virginia Avenue will offer seating for 80. This Virginia Avenue Park location will also show any available replays throughout the afternoon.
- Santa Monica Council Chambers will also be open at 7:30 a.m., with seating for up to 100.
- Don't forget to check the Presidential Inauguration Committee website and at MoveOn.org.
Some Post Inauguration Events
- Echo Park: Jason Flores-Williams, novelist-activist, is throwing Inauguration Subversion, a reading and performance event at STORIES Books. 7 p.m.
- Around LA County: List of LA Democratic Party events around the state.
- Hollywood: Obama-logues Inaugural Celebration at Improv Olympic, 7 p.m., $10.
- The People's Party Inauguration and Gala at J Restaurant & Lounge, 7 p.m., starts at $50.
- Culver City: Akasha Richmond serves up a tribute to Obama's favorite Chicago chef
Rick Bayless with shrimp-and-grits and an Oaxacan margarita made with pineapples and chilis. Akasha, 9543 Culver Blvd., Culver City (310-845-1700).
- Culver City: The Chicago-style gastropub, Rush Street, serves up Chicago dogs, Goose Island Beer and inauguration coverage on eight HDTVs. After 9p, the upstairs lounge has dancing and drink specials to the tunes of DJ AC. Rush Street, 9546 Washington Blvd., Culver City (310-837-9546).