This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
What I'm Thankful for...
Just before I detach from the computer for the day, and my family and I head to the Smoke House in Burbank to get our turkey day grub on, I'd like to offer this nondenominational, secular prayer (i.e., list) of thanks for the year I've just had. It's been marked by a milestone birthday for me and experiences—usually with food—that I'll not forget any time soon. So I'd like to give thanks for:
- Coming home every day to two very excited puppies and one loving husband.
- Having two sides of the family that are cool with nontraditional celebrations of holidays. (Mom, Dad, Suzy and the rest of the gang....see you guys next week to celebrate Christmas!)
- The experience of seeing Wagner's operas Das Rheingold and Die Walkure as part of LA Opera's Ring Cycle.
- Ice cream and peanut butter. Sometimes together.
- David Caruso's portrayal of Horatio Caine. It's amazing to watch.
- The Modern Family Halloween episode: I'll never look at baby cheeses the same way again.
- The guy who created the #awesometown campaign for the city of Santa Clarita. My Twitter and Facebook hashtags will never be the same.
- Finding the best coffee and scones in Awesometown adjacent.
- Discovering the Towsley Canyon hike.
- The memorable birthday dinner for two at Comme Ça. Next time, I conquer the burger (but I'd still get the profiteroles for dessert).
- Girls night out for omakase at Sushi Zo.
- A perfect summer night with the Swell Season/The Bird and the Bee/She & Him at the Hollywood Bowl.
- The chance to help edit the cookbook Los Angeles Classic Desserts.
- Finding that perfect crepe in Versailles and the desserts at Lauduree in Paris.
- The cafe con leche at Cafe Tropical in Silver Lake and the friends who join me there on occasion.
- A day job at CalArts that's filled with sights and sounds that I get to write about on a daily basis.
- A night and weekend gig with LAist—
probablythe best LA blog you'll ever read.
Cheers, everyone! Thanks for indulging me and have a great Thanksgiving with friends and family.