Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Garcetti Proposes Free Year Of Community College Tuition For LAUSD Grads

garcetti_state_of_the_city.jpg
(Photo by Eric Garcetti via the LAist Featured Photos pool on Flickr)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.


Mayor Eric Garcetti pledged his support for a plan to offer one year of free community college tuition for all qualifying Los Angeles Unified School District graduates at Thursday's State of the City address. The proposal is part of a larger effort to meet President Barack Obama's call last year to make community college education free, according to City New Service.Garcetti is working on the plan in partnership with LAUSD and the Los Angeles Community College District. A spokesperson for the Mayor told ABC that the deal is not yet finished, but that it would likely start in 2017.

"This bold proposal sends a powerful message that all hard-working L.A. Unified students deserve a robust college education, without taking on decades' worth of student debt," LAUSD Superintendent Michelle King said in a statement.

Los Angeles Community College District board President Scott Svonkin told the L.A. Times that Garcetti had agreed to raise $1.5 million toward the program, splitting its estimated initial $3 million cost with the district. It should probably be noted that L.A.'s mayor has no formal power over our city's schools, so Garcetti's role in the initiative appears to be purely advisory (plus fundraising). CBS reports that the Mayor's share of the funds will likely come from philanthropists, private companies, and charities.

The proposal had not been previously announced. Svonkin first pledged his support for providing some form of tuition-free community college education in a November 2015 op-ed for the Daily News. No formal plans were included in that initial op-ed, but Svonkin wrote that he "wholeheartedly" supported Obama's initiative and laid out a detailed argument for why LACCD should join the movement. According to Svonkin, 60 percent of full and part-time LACCD students receive some form of fee waivers through a state program for low-income community college students, but he believes far more students are eligible for support:


A survey by LACCD’s institutional research office revealed the families of 89 percent of our students made less than $59,000 a year. In fact, 56 percent of our students said their family income was less than $30,000. Clearly the vast majority — not just 60 percent — of LACCD’s student body come from economically challenged conditions.

I believe this discrepancy is due to the daunting paperwork students must file to prove fee waiver eligibility. That red-tape is especially troublesome, I believe, for students who are the first in their families to attend college or come from recent-immigrant families. Something else to consider: 49 percent of LACCD students said “financial factors” were a moderate or major problem impeding their academic performance. Why? Possibly because more than half our students have off-campus jobs; 39 percent told us they were working 20-plus hours a week. Research tells us scholastic performance suffers when students work more than 10-15 hours a week, and that the need to work often causes students to drop out before attaining a certificate or degree.

Garcetti's pledged support is likely to be the biggest headline from his third annual State of the City address, which "did not feature announcements of significant new mayoral initiatives" according to the L.A. Times. The whole speech can be read here.
One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today