Turkey Tainted With Antibiotic-Resistant Salmonella Blamed for a Californian's Death
A California resident has died after becoming ill from an antibiotic-resistant salmonella strain they contracted after eating contaminated ground turkey. "A California Department of Public Health spokesman said that the death was one of two cases of the illness reported in Sacramento County," reports KTLA.
Locally, in L.A. County, one case of illness associated with the meat has been reported. There has been one case reported in each of San Francisco, Riverside, and San Diego counties, while overall, 77 people in 26 states have reported the illness between March 1 and August 1.
A public health alert was issued last week by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the tainted turkey. Consumers were urged to cook the meat to a temp of 165 degrees Fahrenheit on a food thermometer. Early investigations suggest the meat all came from one production facility.