Five Reasons We Like Minibar
Minibar bills itself as a stylish haven for those with a curious palate for epicurean treats and tasty cocktails. Here are the five reasons we like Minibar:
5. The ambiance Tucked into an otherwise non-descript patch of Cahuenga near Universal Studios and the end-point of Lankershim Boulevard, Minibar's colorfully cozy atmosphere makes it a great place to take a date, to have a girls' night, or host a soiree in their back "treehouse" room. It's a little bit mod and a little bit glam, like A Clockwork Orange meets a designer's showroom. The open space is all on the vertical, with a high ceiling in the main dining area that's full of small tables arranged closely--it's urban chic. In the front window area big cushioned squares serve as either a waiting area or an impromptu dining table. One wall of the ladies' room is finished with chalkboard paint, so you can work out that troublesome equation or do a little tagging while you do your business.
4. The cocktails There's a killer selection of specialty martinis and mojitos. We liked the French Martini and the Passionfruit Mojito. Cool bartenders.
3. The food Small plates means lots to taste and share. They have updated twists on classics, like duck confit mini egg rolls or avocado tabbouleh. We really liked their calamari as well as the yucca cheese bread.
2. The music We were there on a Saturday night, and were extremely appreciative of the groovalicious DJ spinning a mix of old school dance and classic rock. Definitely a nice touch to the evening.
1. The Happy Hour Great Happy Hours are hard to find in L.A. Minbar's "4x4" Happy Hour means a selection of drinks and dishes at $4 a pop Monday-Friday from 5-7 p.m.
3413 West Cahuenga Boulevard, Hollywood (Cahuenga Pass)
Photo from the Minibar Website