This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Choose Your Own Chip-Venture: Are These the Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in L.A.?
Your afternoon snack has just found its raison d'etre: Today is National Chocolate Chip Day, and the way the cookie crumbles around here is, well...we're talking chocolate chip cookies. Sweeeeeet, right?
If you are not within easy reach of a bag or box of your favorite big brand store boughts, and if the idea of cranking up your oven to throw in a home baked batch on this hot August day sounds unappealing, you may want to head out to grab a cookie (or two--that's between you and your belt loops) and celebrate.
Granted, no cookie is ever as good as the ones served right off mom or grandma's spatula, when the chocolate chips are still kind of oozy and you need that tall glass of cold milk right at that moment to make the experience complete. But some local bakeries and restaurants make some might fine Chocolate Chip Cookies. Naturally, we want to know where to find the best.
Travelin Local put up their picks today for the 10 Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in L.A. Their picks range from include a quintessential L.A. CCC experience to a relative newcomer.
1. Cafe Dulce (Little Tokyo)
2. DeLuscious Cookies & Milk (Hancock Park)
3. Diddy Riese Cookies (Westwood)
4. Dutch Oven Bakery (Altadena)
5. Froma (Fairfax District)
6. Ice Cream Plus (West Hollywood)
7. Lido Bakery (Manhattan Beach)
8. Porto’s Bakery (Burbank)
9. Proof Bakery (Atwater Village)
10. Snookies Cookies & More (Glendale)
Any of your favorites make their cut?
We circulated an informal poll around our virtual office this morning, and have come up with three spots that satisfy the respective cravings of the three LAist Editors on duty today:
Playa Rivera's amazing Blue Corn Chocolate Chip Cookie--best eaten crumbled in the goat's milk ice cream and hazelnut sundae it comes with (Lindsay William-Ross/LAist)
- Lindsay: I love the Blue Corn Chocolate Chip Cookies that come with the Goat's Milk Ice Cream & Hazelnut sundae at Playa Rivera. You will want to beg them to send you home with a dozen. (Pictured)
- Lauren: I love Uncle Eddie's Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, they're made in Glendale, sold in lots of health stores in L.A.
- Jessica: I love the Fosse cookies at Grub. They're chocolate chip cookies with pieces of potato chip. Salty and sweet. Delish.
Don't be shy! Chip in with your pick (groan!) in the comments.