Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

FINALLY: SoCal Edison Says All Customers Have Service Back After Last Week's Windpocalypse

powerlines.jpg
Powerlines by Shutterstock
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.

It took them a week--a long, cold, dark week for some--to do it, but Southern California Edison says they have fully restored power to all customers who lost service during last week's crazy windstorm.The good news was official as of 6:21 a.m. Thursday. Clean up work is still in progress, says SCE.

Tuesday, five days into the massive outage that still had thousands of customers without service, Los Angeles County Supervisors stamped SCE's post-storm efforts a fail.

SCE President Ron Litzinger included the following thoughts in an SCE news release: “I want to thank our customers for their patience during this unprecedented wind storm. I also want to thank the thousands of SCE employees and contract crews for their extraordinary efforts.” (It's unclear if he said that without irony.)

A total of 433,945 customers were left without power thanks to the hurricane-force winds of the November 30 storm.