Extra, Extra: Tom Waits' Formative Decade In Los Angeles
Our reporting is free for everyone, but it’s not free to make.
LAist only exists with reader support. If you're in a position to give, your donation powers our reporters and keeps us independent.
- In an unsanitary West Holllywood motel in 1976, Tom Waits lived "half-buried under his stash of records, girlie mags and empties" exhibiting the Beat musician that would later be known as his stage persona
- Michael Phelps is single, ladies
- We might just avoid the "dairy cliff"
- A teacher too bored to teach showed her class "Sleeping with the Enemy"
- Jessica Simpson tweeted out a pic of her pregnant bikinied body
- Shutting down electronic devices on a plane doesn't make us safer, study says
- An awesome Bill Murray story
- Plus: Keep up with us on Facebook, and follow us on Twitter: @LAist @LAistFood @LAistSports. You can also find us on Pinterest, Storify, Foursquare, and Instagram (laistpics).