Extra, Extra: Leonardo DiCaprio Recalls Growing Up On The Eastside Of L.A.
- Follow LAist on Twitter and Instagram, and like us on Facebook.
- At the Screen Actor's Guild Foundation 30th Anniversary Celebration on Friday, Leonardo DiCaprio took to the podium, and spoke about growing up on the east side of L.A. "I grew up very much like Nick Carraway, more so than Jay Gatsby...My childhood was always within and without—living so close to the entertainment industry yet feeling so far from it at the same time."
- Speaking of The Great Gatsby, Kris Jenner celebrated her 60th birthday with a Gatsby-themed party. Jenner and her daughters discussed things like the corruption of the American dream and the dizzying rise of empty consumerism over champagne cocktails.
- Ok, this is just getting old: the president of the Fraternal Order of the Police wrote a guest column for The Hollywood Reporter condemning Quentin Tarantino.
- At least five people were injured in a violent car crash that occurred in Westwood early this morning—two of them are in critical condition. Police said that four college students, who were possibly from UCLA, were inside the vehicle at the time of the crash, on the way home from getting something to eat.
- The man who was brutally beaten by guards while visiting his brother at the Los Angeles County Men's Central Jail back in 2011 came through victorious in court on Friday. He was declared innocent, and the records of his wrongful arrest have been sealed.
- Former president of Mexico Vicente Fox compared illegal drugs to the Biblical forbidden apple, using the logic that whatever's off-limits is even more tempting.
- Ventura County firefighters are battling two blazes right now. Dry conditions and those evil Santa Ana winds are to blame.
Yes, we already posted about Joni Mitchell's birthday today, but here's another jammer to close out the day. Here she is with Crosby, Stills, and Nash in 1969.