This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Amid controversy and criminal charges over sky-high salaries, a city of Bell councilmember resigned today.
- A big win for Schwarzenegger: the state supreme court ruled that the Governor legally furloughed state employees during the last fiscal year.
- Although there is a bike path currently on the Gerald Desmond Bridge in Long Beach, plans for its replacement scrapped the path -- that is until recently and the Port agreed to add it on.
- He doesn't look it one bit, but the guy who plays steel pan at the Studio City Farmers Market is 75 years old!
- These could be fighting words: "Twitter and Facebook cannot change the real world, says Malcolm Gladwell."
- Venice Patch is doing a nice series called Faces of the Boardwalk. Today's subject is muralist Rip Cronk.
- Get nerdy about Burbank: residents should receive the city's new newsletter in their next utility bill.
- And... some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our iPhone app.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.