This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- The accused ringleader of the "Hillside Burglars," who are believed to have broken into some 150 homes in wealthy neighborhoods, was sentenced to 17 years today.
- Here's KPCC's recap of yesterday's debate between U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer and former Hewlett-Packard CEO Carly Fiorina.
- A great take on the news and a safety tip for hikers: "Canyons Are Best Places to 'Stumble Upon' Pot Fields in LA County"
- A statue of Cyrus the Great, the founder of the Persian Empire in 600 AD, might be joining Beethoven, Doughboy and a Seventh Regiment from the Spanish American War in Pershing Square.
- Should open carry gun rights advocates practice their rights in the ghetto instead of Starbucks in Manhattan Beach?
- Halloween in Silver Lake will be different this year.
- Thousands headed to downtown Los Angeles today to get free mortgage help.
- The Olympics are coming back to Los Angeles! Well, the video game version of it at least.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.