This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- DUI patrols and checkpoints will be happening this weekend in North Hollywood, however the LAPD have opted not to release location specifics this time. Bottom line: Don't drive drunk.
- Is the Mayor's "expansive" interpretation of accepting freebies like Lakers tickets an acceptable way to do his job to promote Los Angeles?
- Univision, the country's largest Spanish-language network, has apologized for airing a skit on their show "Despierta America," that included offensive African stereotypes.
- A Riverside teen was able to evade would-be kidnappers on her way to school on Friday, and now authorities are looking for the two suspects who got away.
- The LA City Council yesterday approved a $19.3-million loan to help jumpstart the stalled Midtown Crossing mall project.
- Thousands of people flocked to Arizona to take part in a protest today against the state's controversial SB 1070 immigration law.
- Former Dodgers manager Tommy Lasorda gave the commencement speech at Cypress College.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.