This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Russian roulette left a 15-year-old girl dead in Mid-City on Sunday. At the trigger was a 16-year-old boy who didn't realize there was a bullet in the gun.
- Should be good for tourism: LAX has a new runway that can accommodate A380s, which are "extra jumbo aircraft" that weighs one-million pounds.
- A sailboat washed ashore in Venice on Sunday, and with no skipper in sight.
- After Friday's announcement about Metblogs going to the wayside, things are looking on the up and up again, says Co-Founder Sean Bonner.
- This can't be good: "Mexican drug smugglers are increasingly peddling a form of ultra-potent heroin that sells for as little as $10 a bag and is so pure it can kill unsuspecting users instantly, sometimes before they even remove the syringe from their veins."
- Lock those doors! While an Echo Park couple slept in their bed Friday night, someone walked in and burglarized them, something they didn't even know until they woke up.
- The 10 Wealthiest Angelenos.
- A card to give downtown residents discounts at local businesses continues to gather sign-ups.
- Archbishop José Gomez, who will taken over the Los Angeles Archdiocese next year, will be formally welcomed to the city on Wednesday.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.