This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Actors Ashley Olsen, Pamela Adlon ("Californication") and Jarrod Spector (Jersey Boys) were all aboard an United Airlines flight from New York City to Los Angles that made an emergency landing in Washington D.C. due to a cockpit fire.
- What killed 40 fish in Echo Park Lake over the weekend?
- Say goodbye to the giant fork sculpture placed at a fork in the road in Pasadena.
- "The family of a foreign correspondent slain on the job visited the White House today as President Obama signed into law the Daniel Pearl Freedom of the Press Act. It’s named after a Southland-born newspaper journalist killed in Pakistan eight years ago."
- Fo’ Shizzle, the license plate (it had to be done).
- $70,000 of taxpayer money used for "lavish accommodations" for L.A. City Councilmember travel.
- Mayor Villaraigosa reads LA Times columnist's rant about public transit in L.A. and calls him in for a meeting.
- And... some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.