This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A San Gabriel man was arrested last night for allegedly stabbing two men at a real-life "fight club" in Montebello.
- The plot thickens in the former Food Network chef murder case: Did Juan Carlos Cruz hire a homeless man to murder his wife?
- Authorities in Paramount are investigating the circumstances surrounding a woman's body that was left on the side of the 105 freeway last night.
- Fans of heavy metal and the band Black Sabbath are mourning the loss of Ronnie James Dio who succumbed to cancer at the age of 67.
- A 3.7-magnitude earthquake shook things up this morning in the Coachella and Imperial Valleys.
- Find out how budget woes could spell the end for some community events in the OC city of Newport Beach.
- It's an over-burdened system, and the social workers can't keep up, which means thousands of tips on the county's child abuse hotline go uninvestigated.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.