Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Earlier reports that a 6.9 quake struck Baja California have since been updated as authorities now say the rattler rates 7.2 and was centered in Mexicali, Mexico. Stay tuned to LAist for more updates as the situation warrants.
- The LAPD today identified the four victims from yesterday's gruesome murder at a Valley Village restaurant. They range in age from 25 to 31 years old while the suspect - also thought to be in his 30s - remains at-large.
- Sixteen years after Californians voted to strip undocumented immigrants of many benefits via Prop 187, residents here now seem more open to allowing those lazy ass, do nothingers some measly perks. An L.A. Times/USC poll found that maybe, perhaps, fine just a little, should some of the hardest working Californians get something more than scraps for their labor.
- Is teaching Confuscious propaganda? Does eating Chinese food make you Communist? Is the Chinese language a front for the second coming of Mao? One local school officials says, maybe.
- Police arrested a 25-year-old ragamuffin who may have raped a fellow UCLA student. The incident did not appear to be related to sexual battery incidents reported in early March, according to UCLA police.
- Daily News columnist Doug McIntyre honors the memory of Jaime Escalante by shitting all over the LAUSD and Garfield High School, where the legendary teacher taught for about two decades.
- More school news: Glendale and Burbank don't have any charter schools, owing mostly to the fact that the districts across city limits are just fine the way they are, officials said.
- Our own District Attorney Steve Cooley is running for Attorney General. He'll be up against some stiff competition on the Democratic side and his entry is sure to ignite a new round of who-will-replace-him rumors that have been swirling around L.A. for some time.