Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- About the above photo, taken in Boyle Heights, via the Citizen of the World Inc. blog: "There is no mistaking that the area’s population comes from Latino-descent. But right off of 4th St and Boyle Avenue is the Keiro Senior Healthcare Center - a Japanese and Japanese-American center. My coworker and I spent an entire recording conversations of the Japanese community in their lovely facility, right in the heart of Mexican-American Boyle Heights. The shot above is the center’s pond - a beautiful reminder of Los Angeles’ abundance of cultures."
- No positive I.D. yet, but a body thought to be that of missing Chelsea King, 17, was found today in the San Diego area.
- The State of California wants to sell two stale downtown buildings and blogdowntown Editor Eric Richardson is hoping for a chance of revitalization and improvement.
- Geeeezz. "Pesticides carried from farm fields by the winds make hundreds of Californians ill each year — and advocates for stricter controls say many more cases go unreported."
- Again? Firefighters rescued a dog in the L.A. River today.
- Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa pitches the city on why the census should be taken seriously by residents.
- An unheard amount of pelicans--above 300--are being found injured around the state. Will Campbell finds a dead one on the bike path for the second time and tells us how everyone can help.
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook, through your RSS reader or via our new iPhone app.