This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- An off-duty officer and a robbery suspect exchanged gunfire early this morning in Torrance.
- The Dalai Lama will make his first large-scale speaking appearance in L.A. since 2006 tomorrow at an event at Universal City's Gibson Ampitheatre.
- A peak in the Santa Monica Mountains has been re-named to honor its onetime settler in place of its former name--long-considered a racial slur.
- Taking a look back at the camellia, a flower once greatly celebrated in L.A. now shunned because of the need to save water.
- Summer job alert: Huntington Beach needs lifeguards for the 2010 season.
- File under "Really? You're calling this news?" is this AP article run by abc7 today: "Facebook status appears glitchy Saturday."
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.