LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Los Angeles Magazine's CityThink project looks to our future and they're kicking off the newly formed think tank with a free short film competition that you're encouraged to enter.
- Of the 20 ways to spot a hipster, according to a piece of paper seen in an Echo Park laundromat, reason #5: "Complain about parking when its there [sic] fault there's no more parking."
- A student who interrupted the Israeli ambassador to the United States at a UC Irvine event Monday evening was arrested after he stood up and said “Michael Oren, propagating murder is not an expression of free speech." 10 others throughout the night who similarly interrupted the event were also arrested.
- An 1934 map of the LIzard People who lived (or still do!) under Los Angeles has resurfaced.
- Love it. The Long Beach Spit 'n' Argue Club was a group that for 75 years would gather to chew tobacco and debate just about anything, but they shouldn't overshadow the Great Debaters of Pershing Square.
- Why are Anthem Blue Cross health insurance rates going to skyrocket? The feds want justification (on a personal note, the more than 100% rate hike imposed on me last year forced me to leave them)
- Speaking of health care, a local man "pleaded guilty to health-care fraud after he participated in a scheme to recruit homeless people on Skid Row to undergo unnecessary medical treatment that was billed to Medicare and Medi-Cal."
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader