This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- The sun came out today, and dried up all the rain, but it's not the itsy-bitsy spider we're talking about getting back to work, it's the work to cleanup the storm mess that's underway.
- 5 people were injured overnight in a crash in Van Nuys that involved two possibly drunk drivers.
- 16-year-old Thousand Oaks resident Abby Sunderland headed off to sail around the world today; she could wind up being the youngest person to make the voyage, and taking the title from her big brother.
- Legal troubles from the estate of the late Farrah Fawcett, as a trustee has filed a suit against a producer.
- Lifeguards in Newport Beach recovered the body of a male surfer in his late 30s-early 40s who died while out in the powerful surf.
- The LA Times' Patt Morrison talks with "Big Green Man" Ed Begley Jr.
- RIP to actress Jean Simmons, the lovely co-star of the classic movie musical Guys and Dolls and many more great films.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.