This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Republican gubernatorial candidate Tom Campbell has dropped out of the race, leaving former eBay CEO Meg Whitman and Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner in the game.
- "Federal railroad officials today unveiled regulations for equipping the nation’s freight and passenger trains with automated braking systems required by Congress after the deadly 2008 Metrolink crash in Chatsworth."
- At the famous Hollywood & Vine intersection: 2,600 square feet of ground floor retail below five levels of parking (and in walking distance of a subway stop).
- If You Want to Know a Bicycle Law, Don’t Ask the California Highway Patrol.
- Suspicious: A murder suspect ended up dead in his jail cell after he told people he saw Sheriff's deputies beating a fellow inmate.
- Attention New Yorkers: the blog Midtown Lunch is moving to Los Angeles.
- Get nerdy about transit. Newly designed Big Blue Bus shelters will debut at upcoming community meetings.
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.