This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Improvements to come? "California lawmakers are moving closer to education reforms sought by the Obama administration, giving the state a shot at $700 million in federal money."
- Traffic Alert! Sigalert has been sold to Westwood One.
- A Facebook big wig donated a $2 million to Attorney General Jerry Brown's campaign for governor. The Grove and Americana developer Rick Caruso is also helping raise money for Brown.
- Oh, that Liberal Hollywood! Why do conservatives hate Avatar, the most popular movie in years?
- Sweet! Silver Lake's new vertical garden.
- NFL stadium developer Ed Roski is backing an initiative that will limit terms held by state politicians.
- The feds and their social media: "Census Bureau employs new technology in centuries-old practice"
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us in 2010. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.