This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Fascinating: "Peace breaks out among LA gangs: It's all a matter of economics."
- The movie Battle: Los Angeles was filmed in LA... Louisiana, that is, which has Curbed LA asking "If we can't keep a movie in town that has 'Los Angeles' in the title, what can we keep here?"
- LA County's Gift for Guns program took 5,334 weapons off the streets, including 53 from just one guy.
- Forget your crappy getting skinny New Year's resolution, here are 4 Eco-New Year’s challenges.
- The famous NPR voice of Carl Kassell won't be so ubiquitous anymore, unless you listen to Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me.
- A guide to New Year's Eve in downtown.
- What a lede: "Orange County sheriff's deputies say a man savagely killed a dog, ran naked through a tennis club and poured hot coffee on his head."
- It's a silly sounding Facebook fan page, but the issue is becoming quite a story up in the SCV: Find the Missing Santa Clarita Baby Jesus.
- The restaurant Off Vine, which burned down in 2008, is prepping to make a come back in 2010!
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.