This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Department store windows are a big deal in some cities around Christmas time, including Los Angeles of yesteryear.
- More on why cyclists should continue taking a stand against DWP's Festival of Lights.
- Sarah Palin on Twitter yesterday questioned if "death panels back in?" the national health care debate.
- "With Los Angeles County and most of its 88 cities struggling with double-digit unemployment, the Economic Development Corp. today released its first-ever strategic plan that calls for creating a more business-friendly environment to spur jobs."
- More conservative attacks on high speed rail and analysis of said attacks.
- The LA Times looks into the continued problems at the LA County Coroner's office in regards to leaked info about celebrity deaths.
- California State Assembly Member Pedro Nava on why the Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act of 2009 is bad for California.
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.