This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Today is the Winter Solstice, and it's also the shortest day of the year and the first day of winter.
- Police in Winnetka are investigating the case of a woman's body found inside a parked car.
- And another sad discovery: Authorities in Riverside County are looking into the deaths of two people found along a trail in a vineyard.
- A New York Rabbi was sentenced in federal court in LA today to 2 years in prison for his part in a money laundering and tax fraud scheme.
- Metrolink is getting ready to roll out new "crash-resistant" rail cars.
- Is the end near for Patrick's Roadhouse on PCH?
- Does your office have a culprit who shares these odors? The OC Weekly's 5 Awful Office Food Smells.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.