This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Where's Arnold? Well, last night he took part in a tree-lighting ceremony with LA County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas at Martin Luther King Jr. Hospital.
- A Texas man posing as a magazine salesman was arrested yesterday for allegedly committing a home invasion robbery and attempted rape in Winnetka.
- A man and a woman were found shot dead early this morning inside a parked car in El Sereno.
- An 18-month-old girl drowned at home last night in Buena Park when her mother briefly left her unattended in the bathtub.
- How is the state's "stimulus czar," aka former City Controller Laura Chick doing? The czar herself thinks not as well as she'd like to be.
- Apricot-glazed Turkey, Vegetarian Lentil Shepherd's Pie and Stuffed Pork Chops: Menu items at a top new eatery? Nope, they were top items served on college campuses this year.
- Reminder: There are three sobriety checkpoints set up around town tonight: "on Highland Avenue between Franklin Street and Odin Street in Hollywood, on Vineland Boulevard near Vanowen Street in the Valley and on Florence Avenue between Western Avenue and St. Andrews Place in South L.A."
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.