LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- About the above photo: "While an announcer talks about who the next American Idol will be, a man on the street behind her eats from a garbage can," explains photographer Jeffrey Patrick in the caption of his photo where he suggests a few charities to donate to this holiday season.
- Attention travelers. The snowstorm on the East Coast may cancel several flights.
- The Tar Pit is a new swanky bar in Mid-City. Eater LA gives a sense of it: "the decor is reminiscent of a 40's era supper club, but the low-key ambiance and the sensible menu appeals to a broad audience
- Sean Bonner calls for the sacking of Los Angeles' bicycle coordinator Michelle Mowery after comments she made at a public meeting, including one about Portland being "very white."
- blogdowntown scores an interview with the new Downtown Art Walk director, Jay Lopez.
- Teachers as bad examples? Angry over a contract dispute, teachers fed students doughnuts during a nutrition break in protest.
- Will Google acquire Yelp?
- A good link for those keeping tabs on reform in California politics: California Reform--Effectiveness and Efficiency.
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader