This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- An Oregon wind farm will supply energy to Southern California Edison by 2011.
- Tesla Motors vacillates between Long Beach and Downey for the site of its new manufacturing facility.
- Also in Long Beach: global warming could increase ocean levels by 16 inches over the next 40 years, threatening the ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles, among other California ports.
- Jason Ara Erpinar, 20, of Yorba Linda was charged today with drugging and raping women he met on MySpace.
- Layoffs continue at the already-understaffed Long Beach Museum of Art.
- The Los Angeles Planning Commission approves the final phase of the Playa Vista development project, "The Village": 2,600 homes, a shopping center, and office buildings to be built on property formally occupied by an airstrip and a Hughes Aircraft manufacturing facility.
- The City Council wants to know if City Attorney Carmen Trutanich will file charges against AEG or not about the Michael Jackson memorial.
- Finally... Some housekeeping. There are a few ways to stay connected with us. Consider following us on Twitter, Facebook or through your RSS reader
Today's Extra, Extra was written by Auroriele Hans. Thanks, Auroriele!
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.