This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A 16-year-old girl walking on the shoulder of the 170 Freeway in North Hollywood late last night was struck and killed by a motorist. An investigation is underway to determine why she was on foot on the highway.
- An LA Times opinion piece offers a fond personal remembrance of activist Alice McGrath, who died late last month.
- Authorities are using info left on social media sites like MySpace and Twitter for help in solving gang-related crimes.
- An ex-Assemblyman was booked for allegedly running over a parking attendant at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum.
- Change is in the air above the Santa Monica Airport.
- Residents in the Foothill community of La Crescenta are bracing for the incoming rains that might bring down their burn-scarred hillsides.
- Want to be a part of the LAist team? We're looking for volunteers to help put together pieces like this, our daily news roundup, and maybe more. Send us an email if you're interested.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.