This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Track record? Governor Schwarzenegger got booed this weekend when he paid a visit to Hollywood Park to honor Zenyatta, the horse with the amazing perfect record.
- A small brush fire that sparked up near the 73 toll road in Irvine was quickly put out this afternoon.
- Director Roman Polanski remains jailed in Switzerland, where authorities are insisting he pay the full $4.5 million bail before releasing him to a secured chalet for a house arrest stint.
- A man fell to his death overnight at an apartment complex in Northridge. Authorities believe the fall was an accident.
- LA has banned cat de-clawing, now Culver City is set to vote on a similar motion tonight, and Burbank next week.
- UCLA students are upset their Bruin mascot statue was vandalized, but say the "guarding" this year was symbolic, since no one seemed interested in taking on the task, leaving just a tarp to cover the statue.
- Our friends at the LA Weekly are running a "Best of the Web" awards, and you have through December 31st to submit your favorite local web savvy person or site in a variety of categories.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.