This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- A California nurses' union says they won't strike since they got the Swine Flu protections they sought written into their contracts.
- LA Observed notes that "ten members of the Los Angeles Film Critics Association have lost their gigs in the last 18 months." That leaves 11 full timers. Yikes.
- What stinks in the South OC? It's just the algae bloom .
- WWJD? A Simi Valley Christian bookstore employee was arrested, cited, and released after it was determined he'd left a recording device in the store's public restroom.
- The LA Zoo continues to face challenges over their controversial elephant exhibit.
- The owner of the crypt above that of iconic screen siren Marilyn Monroe can't seem to unload the property; a recent auction elicited absolutely no bids .
- Feeling lucky? Want to experience a night of chamber music? If you answered yes to both those, enter our contest to win tickets to see the LA Chamber Orchestra live in concert.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.