LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.
- Taxi Drivers held a protest today by circling around city hall in their vehicles. "Franchise Slavery" read one sign.
- Today was the last day of the free medical clinic in Inglewood. With the masses pouring in, hoping not to be turned away because of overcrowding, it good example why the U.S. needs for a lot more affordable healthcare.. a lot!
- Michael Jackson will be buried in Glendale on August 29th, which is his birthday and will probably be some new holiday.
- Who is ready for some NY+C pizza in Santa Monica? The Wilshire Blvd. eatery appears poised to open soon.
- Here's some parking ticket hell in Malibu.
- Does the gang-reducing program Summer Night Lights actually reduce crime? LA Weekly questions the statistics and we're sure Mayor Villaraigosa will fire back since it is one of his favorite programs.
- Just in case and just for fun... "While a zombie attack is one of the least likely ways the world could end, four Canadian mathematicians/graduate students did a mathematical analysis of a hypothetical zombie outbreak to determine the likelihood of human eradication, should such an attack ever occur." Awesome.
- Mrs. Winston’s Green Grocery in Santa Monica looks like it has a damn fine vegan-friendly salad bar