This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- Five teenagers were wounded at a party in Long Beach last night after two or three suspects opened fire.
- The LAPD has conducted raids on several underground clubs, thought to be operated by members of the 18th Street gang. The raids netted 34 arrests on local and federal charges.
- Despite being scheduled to surrender yesterday, former OC Sheriff Mike Carona remains free as he awaits an appeal ruling by a federal court.
- A stunt surfer hailed as "phantom man" dove into the surf off the Huntington Pier as part of the "Expression Session" of the Hurley US Open of Surfing.
- The Port of L.A. has an April 1, 2010 deadline to have Cabrillo Beach cleaned up to standards.
- Two DUI checkpoints today and tonight: One in the Southwest Area (10 Freeway on the north, 110 Freeway on the east, Vernon Avenue to the south, La Cienga Boulevard to the west) and the other in the West (on La Brea Avenue between Venice Boulevard and Pico Boulevard). Drive smart!
- Yes, you can grow veggies in the Valley heat and in a drought. Check out this Sherman Oaks garden!
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.