LAist relies on reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Up in the capitol, legislators are trying to fix the state's $24 billion budget deficit. After another day on both house floors, the Assembly unanimously voted for three bills that would cut school spending and delay payments to schools and local governments in order to allow the state to pay its bills instead of giving IOUs. It was a short term solution intended to give "the state time while legislators and Schwarzenegger negotiated on a comprehensive solution." Schwarzenegger vowed to veto. In any case, the Senate failed to pass any bills.
- Who's going to Dwell on Design this weekend? It's a great event, blogdowntown previews.
- Top Chef's Stefan Richter is now the co-owner of LA Farm, which will close its doors tomorrow for renovations and preparations for Stefan's at L.A Farm in Santa Monica.
- Who knew light rail cars for Metro could be such a controversy? Well, it is. A decision to renew the contract with the Italian rail car company AnsaldoBreda has once again been postponed.
- A man who went hiking and then missing for four days in the National Angeles Forest north of Santa Clarita has been located.
- The intersection of 7th and Broadway is now the Ezat Delijani Square, named after the Iranian Downtown investor who owns four historic Broadway theaters. Those properties--the Los Angeles, Palace, State and Tower theaters--are integral to Broadway's revival.
- Love it or hate it, Transformers is already breaking box office records.
- Shaquille O'Neal will leave the Phoenix Suns and will be joining LeBron James on the Cleveland Cavaliers