This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: The Future of LA
- We all want this city to be a certain way in the future. Will Oloughlen decided to put his idea of the future of LA in a 2 minute short film. Enjoy!
- Silverlake's own, Silversun Pickups just reached #1 on the Billboard Charts topping Linkin Park and Green Day. SP are still on the Indie label, Dangerbird Records, therefore have NOT sold out.
- After the Lakers win, it wasn't looters who ran into The Holy Grail shoe store in Downtown to get the latest sneaks, it was pyro's looking for something to set on fire to throw at the Police.
- Gulliver's Restaurant in Irvine is holding an Prime Rib Eating Contest on Wednesday night for $29 with the only rule bing no barfing. Contestants get 30 minutes to chow down on as much as they can for prizes consisting of $400 cash, overnight stay at Radisson Newport Beach Hotel, two Angels tickets and dinner for two at Gulliver’s.
- State legislators get free cars provided by our tax money. Not just a standard car, for example, "Sen. Ron Calderon can be found touring his San Gabriel Valley district in a Cadillac STS V8 Luxury Sports Sedan that the state bought for $54,830." Oh, and their families are covered if they're behind the wheel in an accident. BTW, maintenance - of course it's covered by taxpayer money! Can you say - budget cut?
- Long Beach is getting some heat about their "questionable" use of Federal Stimulus money to refurbish the 14th St. skate park. Senator Tom Coburn (R., Oklahoma) says this "is one of 100 examples of the Obama administration's use of taxpayer dollars for dubious purposes."
- Gunshots were heard and 4 men were hit, one critically, at a South LA bus stop this morning. Makes you think if gunmen think like drinkers in the morning - "must be 12 o'clock somewhere."
- Tickets go on sale today for Cirque du Soleil's "KOOZA" which will run on the SM Pier from October 16 - November 15. Yes, that's far away but be warned, this event will probably sell out.